IOPs, EAPs, & What You Need To Know About Help for Drinking

IOP for drinking Oklahoma City

If you’re thinking about getting help for your drinking, you might feel like you need a dictionary even more than you need rehab. IOP, PHP, EAPs, and more – the world of addiction treatment has a vocabulary all its own and it can be overwhelming. But, it doesn’t have to be. Read on for more information on IOPs, EAPS, and what you need to know about getting help for drinking.

What is OP?

Many of the different phrases in addiction treatment describe the types of treatment that you can get. The nature of the treatment is generally the same across the board, but the amount of time you must commit to each is different. At one end of the spectrum is outpatient programming for addiction (OP). Outpatient programs for addiction include counseling, therapy, and education related to addiction recovery and mental health care. They require a time commitment of just a few hours a week, and are most appropriate for people with a safe and secure home life.

What is an IOP?

IOP (an intensive outpatient program) increases the time commitment to at least nine hours a week, split up across several sessions. IOP is designed to provide intensive treatment – as the name suggests – but with a flexible schedule that allows people to continue to work, go to school, care for their family, and test their new recovery skills in real time with a limited amount of support. 

What is a PHP? 

In a PHP (partial hospitalization program), the treatment is nearly full-time – generally from 9 am to 5 pm each day, Monday through Friday. Clients return home at night to stay in their own residences, but generally do not have enough free time to work or go to school while receiving treatment. PHP is often an alternative to residential addiction treatment for people who have a safe home life.

Understanding Dual Diagnosis Rehab

“Dual diagnosis” is another term that commonly pops up in descriptions of rehab. Essentially, it means treating addiction and mental health problems at the same time. Today, most reputable addiction treatment centers operate from a dual-diagnosis perspective, because of how deeply addiction and mental health problems are linked. To heal one, you must heal the other, and that is the goal of dual diagnosis addiction treatment.

Get Help for Drinking with an EAP

So, are you ready to explore addiction treatment for professionals? It might be time for one last abbreviation: EAP. An EAP, or employee assistance program, is a program provided by an employer to help support their workers. EAPs can help you find addiction treatment and even act as an advocate in talking to your boss on your behalf. 

If you have an EAP, reach out to your rep or an HR professional at your company to learn more about next steps. If you don’t have an EAP, or prefer to pursue treatment on your own terms, contact our team of experts. They can verify your benefits and talk to your employer for you to ensure that your transition to addiction treatment for professionals is a smooth one. When you’re ready to start a new road, we’re here to help.